SALT LAKE CITY – Governor Gary R. Herbert was selected Sunday as a member of the National Governors Association Executive Committee for the 2012-2013 year.
“I am honored and excited for this opportunity to serve with my fellow governors,” Herbert said. “This leadership role offers Utah a unique voice at the table as we discuss the most critical issues that affect states.”
The new NGA Chair Delaware Gov. Jack Markell and NGA Vice Chair Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin will lead the nine-member Executive Committee which establishes the association’s priorities and activities. In addition to Herbert the other committee members include:
- New Jersey Go. Chris Christie
- Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker
- Arkansas Gov. Mike Beebe
- Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper
- Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton
- Nebraska Gov. Dave Heineman
“Gov. Herbert brings great leadership and vision to the table,” Gov. Fallin said. “Utah is a national leader in economic growth and job creation. It is a constant innovator in finding new ways to deliver healthcare services and increase government efficiency. Governor Herbert’s experience in leading Utah as it tackles a multitude of complicated issues will be a great asset to the NGA.”
The NGA is the bipartisan organization of the nation’s governors that promotes visionary state leadership, shares best practices, and speaks with a collective voice on national policy.
The association’s mission is to:
- Provide a bipartisan forum for governors to exchange views and share best practices.
- Identify priority issues and work with governors to establish bipartisan positions to influence key federal policies.
- Develop innovative solutions to state policy challenges and provide tailored, technical assistance to governors.