Legal Briefings: Commercial landlord refuses to refund deposit

Matt Ence is a  partner with the law firm of Snow, Jensen & Reece in St. George, Utah. The content in this column should not be construed as legal advice or as a substitute for counsel on individual matters. The opinions stated in this article are those of the columnist and not those of St. George News.

Question: I closed my business last year and relinquished the shop space I had leased. I fulfilled my lease and never defaulted in payment of rent. I even left the space in broom clean condition, as the Lease requires. It’s been six months and the landlord still hasn’t refunded my deposit. The lease called it last month’s rent, but I paid the last month’s rent in normal course of business. How can I get my deposit money back and are there penalties I can exact for the landlord not refunding me on time (my lease says he has to refund within 30 days)?

Answer: The answer to your question is in the terms of the lease itself. Because the lease is a binding contract, and you have met your obligations under the lease, the landlord must meet its obligations as well, and cannot take advantage of an overpayment of rent to receive a windfall.

If this were a residential lease, specific provisions of Utah law would govern the return of a security deposit and the reasons for which the landlord could retain the deposit. Where this is instead a commercial lease, those specific provisions of Utah law would not apply, and the relationship of the parties in the lease is instead governed by general contract law principles, and the obligation of each party to deal with the other fairly and in good faith.

If the landlord is unresponsive after a firm and reasonable demand for compliance with the lease terms, then you may have to resort to legal action. If the reimbursement you are owed is less than $10,000, you can file a small claims action against the landlord and may not need an attorney’s assistance. If the amount is greater, you will need to consider filing in district court, and an attorney’s help is recommended.

Ultimately, questions regarding whether you can recover attorneys’ fees, costs of court, interest, or other fees is dependent primarily on the terms of the lease itself. If you obtain a judgment, at a minimum you should at least be entitled to post-judgment interest at 10 percent per year from the date the judgment is entered.

Questions and comments for the columnist may be directed to:

email: [email protected]

twitter: @snowjensenreece

Copyright 2012 St. George News.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

1 Comment

  • Dharmendra May 2, 2012 at 4:42 am

    Policies don’t matter at all. What maetrts is how much they want to keep you as a tenant and how much you want to stay. Your bargaining power is that at renewal time you have the right to walk away if they charge too much for you. Their bargaining power is that they can let it to someone else if they will pay more than you will.So you haggle.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.