Fire in Sports Village causes damage but no injuries

St. George Fire Engine Classic | Photo by Joyce Kuzmanic, St. George News

ST. GEORGE – Fire crews were dispatched to 860 S Village Road to the Sports Village Resort in Green Valley at 9:08 p.m., Monday.

A fire had started in the attic of an apartment on the third floor of Building E.

St. George Fire Department’s Chief Robert Stoker reported no one was home at the time and the residents of the apartment complex were able to evacuate without incident.  The apartment had been rented for the week by a vacationing family, Stoker said.

Multiple teams arrived on the scene to deal with the fire. Stoker said this was so the fire crews had enough resources when dealing with a fire in a multistory building.

The fire was put out around 9:50 p.m.

 Fire crews had to break down part of the ceiling in order to get to the fire which resulted in breaking through water lines as well. While the fire damaged trusses in the ceiling, neighboring apartments also experienced water damage. Stoker said the initial estimated on property damage was $50,000.
Stoker said fire was suspected to be electrical in nature, though the investigation had yet to confirm the any details.

email: [email protected]

twitter: @MoriKessler

Copyright 2012 St. George News.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.