High winds give rise to injury at airshow

Injury late afternoon at Thunder Over Utah, St. George, Utah March 17, 2012 | Photo by Troy Hoskins, St. George News

ST. GEORGE – It wasn’t just jets that went flying at the Thunder Over Utah Airshow this afternoon.

Near the end of the event, strong winds picked up a metal lid from a pretzel cart and sent it flying into a man’s head.

Strong winds carry pretzel cart lid into man's head late afternoon at Thunder Over Utah, St. George, Utah March 17, 2012 | Photo by Troy Hoskins, St. George News

Emergency responders came to his aid and carried him away on a stretcher.

The man was transported by ambulance for medical attention.

Witnesses told our reporter, Troy Hoskins, that the man was coherent when put into the ambulance.

Emergency responders assist injured man, late afternoon at Thunder Over Utah, St. George, Utah, March 17, 2012 | Photo by Troy Hoskins, St. George News











St. George News reporter Troy Hoskins contributed to this story.

email: [email protected]

twitter: @JoyceKuzmanic

Copyright 2012 St. George News.


Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!


  • cj March 17, 2012 at 7:37 pm

    That was pure chaos. They weren’t prepared for that many people. They didn’t even have enough portable bathrooms for the number of people out there. Several were full and couldn’t be used by 2 more than 2 hours before the event was over.

  • lacey March 17, 2012 at 8:43 pm

    Hey my boyfriend is one of the emts. Thanks for the picture Troy

  • tyler March 19, 2012 at 8:16 pm

    All I can say to the unorganized part of it, is it was the first time they’ve been here and hopefully if there’s a next time, they all learned what to improve on. Either way, it was pretty badass, no doubt!

  • Don March 23, 2012 at 8:46 pm

    The flying part was great. The ground war bad because they were too close to the spectators and most people could not see anything.
    TERRIBLE: Bring in four times more porta-potties. You should be ashamed at that mismanagement. Parking was a disaster. We left half way through the Blue Angels flight when the winds caused a bad sand storm. All of the weather related was no problem. One gate on to a single lane dirt road and no police to keep traffic moving. Being near the front of the line still took over 1 1/2 hours to hit I-15. Shame shame to the organizers on restroom and parking. You better fix these issues or no one will come again.

    I’m a retired F-4 Phantom II flier, the airshow was fine, needs to grow bigger and keep the aircraft flying more often. Problem is with the organizers and facilities.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.