Fire breaks out in St. George home Thursday night

Fire trucks along 500 S. Photo by Mori Kessler

ST. GEORGE – A fire broke out in a St. George home Thursdays night near East Elementary.

The St. George Fire Department responded to a fire call at 6:36 p.m. at 560 E. 500 S. Fire fighters arrived on scene at 6:40 p.m. and began to battle the blaze.

The fire was contained by 7:00 p.m. No one was injured in the fire.

Fire Chief Robert Stoker said the fire was the result of a grease fire that started in the kitchen. A member of the family who was renting the home tried smother fire, he said, but it got out of control and engulfed the kitchen.

Stoker said the family – a husband, wife, and two children – were waiting outside of the home when firefighters arrived. He added that the family had done everything by the book by trying the smother the fire, then waiting outside.

The kitchen took the brunt of the damage with smoke damage affecting the surrounding area. However, the home’s overall structure remains stable. Initial estimates place the property damage at $30,000.

Stoker said the family would be staying with relatives for the night.

Raymond Cluff, the owner of the home, was grateful firefighters arrived as quickly as they did.

“It was a good response from the St. George Fire Department,” Cluff said.

[email protected]

Copyright 2012 St. George News. This material may not be published or rewritten without written consent.

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.