Correction: Home Depot was not evacuated, but the propane tanks were moved.
CEDAR CITY – Firefighters narrowly saved the State Liquor Store in Cedar City from a fire that came within 100 feet of the building. Officers evacuated the Liquor Store and moved the propane tanks from the Home Depot as a precaution.
Officer Dustin Orton said officers were nearby investigating a fatal vehicle accident when the fire started. The officers’ quick response allowed officers to keep the Liquor Store from being caught in the flames. Click here for St. George News story on that accident.
Jeff O’Brien, a Cedar City resident who works nearby, said a plane is currently dropping fire retardant as helicopters drop water to prevent the flames from spreading.
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2011, all rights reserved.