ST. GEORGE – In the wake of Friday’s devastating earthquake that hit Japan, Dixie State College of Utah officials confirmed Friday morning that all five of its Japanese students currently enrolled at DSC have been in contact with family members in their home country. DSC Dean of Students Del Beatty and DSC International Student Services Director Michael Thompson (who is fluent in Japanese) are updating these students on the latest news, in addition to providing phone, computer and counseling services throughout the day.
Below is updated DSC campus information regarding these student services:
- Dixie State College currently has five Japanese students enrolled for the 2011 Spring Semester.
- As of 10 a.m. (MST), all five students have made contact with their families in Japan.
- DSC Student Services is providing phone, computer and counseling services to these students throughout the day.
- DSC International Student Services Director Michael Thompson, who is fluent in Japanese and has contacts in the country, is monitoring the news and social media updates to keep these five students informed on the latest happenings in Japan.
- Michael Thompson is also traveling to Dixie, Pine View and Hurricane High Schools to check in on Japanese foreign exchange students.