Here’s how your kids can make their voices heard as part of first ever state Student Advisory Council

Stock image | Photo by Goodluz/iStock/Getty Images Plus, St. George News

SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah State Board of Education voted Thursday to create a Student Advisory Council that will provide suggestions and feedback to the 15-member elected body.

In a unanimous vote, the board approved an internal policy establishing the council, which is the first of its kind in Utah. The council will include 15 juniors and seniors who will represent the same geographical areas represented by each member of the board.

Board member Linda Hansen brought the idea to the full board after she was approached by a student advocating for the involvement of student voices in statewide education policy decisions.

“The Board makes better decisions when we hear many different points of view, and the students’ viewpoint is one that we have been missing. Their perspective is incredibly valuable,” Hansen said. “When the education community listens to all voices, it is more cohesive and that is when we see the very best things happen in education.”

The Student Advisory Council will meet at least every other month to discuss how decisions made at the state level affect students. Membership will be split between grades 11 and 12.

Students can find the application online here. To be considered, students must be at least 16 years old and a junior or senior. Applications are due Oct. 5.

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @STGnews

Free News Delivery by Email

Would you like to have the day's news stories delivered right to your inbox every evening? Enter your email below to start!