CEDAR CITY — The 33rd annual Larry H. Miller Utah Summer Games opens Thursday in Cedar City and will bring the best of the best to compete in Olympic-style athletic events in celebration of the human spirit and healthy lifestyles.
The annual event continues to grow and enhance its offerings. This year athletes can experience three new events – power tumbling, golf and high power rifle shooting.
Games participants and members of the Cedar City community are also invited to enjoy the new Summer Games Party in the Park, an evening event hosted at Main Street Park, 200 N. Main St., Friday and June 22, both starting at 7 p.m.
The opening ceremonies will commence Thursday at 8:30 p.m. The Utah Summer Games has been held in Cedar City since 1986. It will host athletes of all ages and skill levels from across the western U.S., participating in more than 40 different competitive sporting events. The games continue to average a total of 9,600 participants, 50,000 spectators and 1,000 volunteers, with those numbers increasing each year.
Prior to the opening ceremonies is the free “Summer Block Party,” sponsored by the KSL Read Today Initiative. The block party will be held from 3-7:30 p.m. June 14 in front of the Southern Utah University America First Event Center on 800 West. There will be food trucks, face painting, games and prizes.
Following the Block Party, the opening ceremonies will start at 8:30 p.m. in the Southern Utah University Eccles Coliseum, 99 S. 1100 West, and will feature the athlete’s march, family-friendly activities and fireworks. Steve Augeri, former lead vocalist from the hit band Journey, will be this year’s featured performer.
To attend the opening ceremonies, general admission is $5 and reserved seating is $8. Athletes can attend for free by wearing their official Utah Summer Games athlete T-shirt. There are no youth/child prices for this event.
- What: Utah Summer Games “Summer Block Party” and opening ceremonies.
- When: Thursday, June 14.
- Block Party: 3-7:30 p.m.
- Opening ceremonies: 8:30 p.m.
- Block Party: in front of the Southern Utah University America First Event Center on 800 West, Cedar City.
- Opening ceremonies: Southern Utah University Eccles Coliseum, 99 S. 1100 West, Cedar City.
- Block Party is free. Tickets for the opening ceremonies are $5 general admission and $8 for reserved seating and can be purchased from SUU’s America First Event Center Ticket Office at 351 W. Center St., by calling telephone 435-586-7872 or online. They are also available for purchase at the gate.
Email: [email protected]